“The Shob” is a term used by Haircuttery’s Director of Technical Training, Steve Waldman, to describe a this low-maintenance style with lots of movement.
“Just as it did a century ago, the Bob is a great platform to express your personal style,” says Waldman. “Defined by a strong, bobbed perimeter, it can be worn short at the jaw or as a shoulder grazing ‘Lob’ with waves, natural curls or sleek and straight with shattered texture.”
Waldman, who is based in , is seeing many people venturing out for their first haircut in over a year, and says the Shag/Bob combo is an often-requested look. The details that set it apart include short, bold bangs just above the brows or longer draped curtain bangs that can be tucked behind the ear for versatility.
Starr Mason, Field Education Leader at Haircuttery, says a new style is long overdue for most people. “The service may have started out as a trim, but now we seen guests wanting five or more inches off. We’re entering a new beginning and fresh start – why not go for a new look!”
TO ACHIEVE THE SHOB
Waldman calls out these key points for cutting and styling this Shag/Bob combo:
- The “Shob,” shag/ bob hybrid is great for all hair textures, but especially liberating for salon guests with wavy to slightly curly hair.
- It releases excess weight and unflattering density for an effortless shake and go look. The key is establishing a purposeful and strong perimeter with playful movement in the interior.
- Over-direction is key when cutting layers to ensure you don’t remove too much hair and keep your shape balanced.
- Use dry cutting techniques to add detail and bring the texture to life. Pinch cutting selected strands is one of my favorites to accentuate the undulation of wave and curl.
- Massage a volumizing foam from the scalp through the mid-lengths to create balanced height and style support with a paste on the ends applied with the fingertips to create piece-y, defined look that is a classically inspired current superstar.
Photos by: Photo and Hair by Kate, Hair Cuttery Stylist, www.instagram.com/hairstylist.katemodern
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.