Jada Jenkins, Sam Villa Ambassador, Mizani Artist and L’amour de Rose Salon Owner @jadajenkinsco, is all about the perfect glam ponytail right now. Whether creating a red-carpet look, designing for runway or teaching a guest how to DIY it at home, understanding these concepts will help create the perfect glam look for any occasion. See Jenkins in action:
1. Face shape: Understanding face shape is crucial. Sleek looks can slim a round face, a side swoop or fringe can help draw attention away from a larger forehead. And avoiding weight on an oblong face shape will help to balance features.
2. Define the design: Always apply Mizani Heat Screen Hair Protectant Spray to prep and protect hair from heat. For a sleek surface, use a Sam Villa Signature Series Sleekr Professional Straightening Iron to smooth hair. When added texture and mass is needed, use a Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron to build volume.
3. Position: Break down ponytail into sections (2-3). If the person has a part (middle or side) divide hair into 3 sections. Establish the position of the ponytail, gather hair and use a bungee cord to secure
4. Length: Extensions are always an option for longer styles, choose those that match original hair texture and desired length and attach with the following steps:
- Weft extension around elastic bands.
- Use hairpins to secure extensions at the top and bottom of the ponytail.
5. Secure: Crafting the tail properly will ensure it stays in place. Start by applying Mizani Lived-In Sculpting Paste and HRM Humidity Resistance Mist to hold hair in place. Use a Sam Villa Signature Series Tail Comb to form neat clean sections. When using hairpins, attach a braid to the scalp to provide an anchor for pins to limit scalp irritation. Connect each section with elastic bands and then wrap a small piece of hair around the elastic to cover it.
6. Enhancements: Once the ponytail is in place, take creative liberty to embellish with accessories, braids, curls, waves or super sleek smoothness.
“When fashioning ponytails, always be mindful of tension… gather hair just tight enough to secure, too much unnecessary pulling can damage hair follicles,” explains Jenkins.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.