What’s the biggest trend in blonding right now? Everyone wants bright, eye-popping color and seriously healthy hair! With Redken, you have both! The best solution for a powerful lift but strong hair, is using a bonder at every step of the service. Thanks to Redken, that’s possible with the Redken Power Trio–Flash Lift Bonder Inside lightener, the new Redken Shades EQ Bonder Inside toner and the Acidic Bonding Concentrate haircare range. The result? Up to 77% less breakage.*
Redken Shades EQ Bonder Inside is the newest addition to the Redken bonder lineup, and salon success specialist Elizabeth Faye @heyelizabethfaye is a fan. “Redken Shades EQ Bonder Inside is changing the game with how you create strong, healthy blonde hair,” she says. “The added bonder inside–plus citric acid and taurine–reduce damage and alkalinity following lightening services and evens porosity and pH levels to ensure optimal color results, shine and condition. Healthy hair equals happy hair which equals happy clients which equals a sustainable career!”
With a solid healthy hair game in place, you can go on to create stunning blonde and balayage results. Here are more tips and trends from top blonders.
This summer, it’s all about bold, dimensional balayage.
How To Create Balayage That Pops!
Don’t be shy when it comes to your balayage clients this season. Go bold! Here is a how-to from Adina Pignatare, @adina_pignatare, demonstrating her “triple threat balayage sectioning” which produces depth and bright blonde color.
1. Section the top layer of hair into five triangles, up and down.
2. Backcomb the conventional triangle sections and apply Redken Flash Lift Bonder Inside 40-volume to the non-backcombed tips, pressing the brush flat against the hair. Then use the back of your hand to press the lightener into the hair for maximum saturation.
3. On the inverted triangular sections, apply the lightener to the surface, feathering upward toward the roots and saturating the mids and ends thoroughly with a flat brush and the back of your hand. Maintain constant tension on the section as you apply the lightener.
4. Tone with new Redken Shades EQ Bonder Inside 010VV + 000 Crystal Clear. Redken Shades EQ Bonder Inside is the new all-in-one toner and bonder; use it to maintain clean, cool color and to strengthen compromised hair.
Watch Adina’s balayage technique in action.
Sarah Cabral, @sarahzstylz, uses lowlights to bring her balayage into high definition. Here she lowlighted with Redken Shades EQ 07M + 06N + color thickener and developer. Then she sealed the cool color with a global glaze using the new Redken Shades EQ Bonder Inside 010VV + 010N + 000 Crystal Clear.
The Magic Of Lowlighting
Many colorists don’t think about using lowlights to add depth to their balayage, but for Sarah Cabral, @sarahzstylz, lowlighting is a great way to produce the depth and dimension that make your blonde balayage vivid. Here are some of her tips:
- Wherever you want the blonde to really pop, add a lowlight next to it or underneath.
- One of the best sections for a lowlight is just underneath the “money piece” in front. It will visually brighten the lightened section.
- Don’t be afraid to lowlight thick sections, especially if the hair is heavily highlighted, otherwise the lowlight will get lost.
- Concentrate lowlighting in the area between the crown and the occipital—this is where the depth looks the most natural.
Before and after. Redken Artist Lindsey Marie Olson, @lindsey.marie.olson, achieved this caramel latte blonde over the course of two sessions.
Brunette To Blonde: Slow And Safe Wins The Day
For the client who is ready for a big “lift,” it’s important to do everything possible to maintain the integrity of the hair. “The combination of curls and blonding is a delicate process,” says Lindsey Marie Olson. “Here are some of my hot tips.”
- Above all, take your time. Opt for the lowest possible level of developer and plan to process the hair longer as a result. In this makeover, Lindsey lifted the hair over the course of two sessions.
- Heavy saturation is critical. “Lay it on thick,” says Lindsey.
- Conduct a thorough consultation. Let the client know exactly what to expect, how long it will take to achieve the desired result and what her color will look like throughout the process.
- Use products that treat the hair as you’re coloring. Here, Lindsey used Redken Flash Lift Bonder Inside Lightener and Redken Shades EQ Bonder Inside to tone. Both products restore hair’s bonds and maintain strength and integrity, which is especially critical when lightening fragile curls!
You can check out the new Redken Shades EQ Bonder Inside at Salon Centric and online.
*versus our leading lightener without bonder
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.